Correct sequencing of usage of DRM writeback connector

Dmitry Baryshkov dmitry.baryshkov at linaro.org
Tue Jun 18 09:48:13 UTC 2024

On Tue, 18 Jun 2024 at 12:33, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 10:52:27PM +0300, Dmitry Baryshkov wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 11:28:35AM GMT, Abhinav Kumar wrote:
> > > Hi

> > > Would it be fair to summarize it like below:
> > >
> > > 1) If the same CRTC is shared with the real time display, then the hardware
> > > is expected to fire this every frame so userspace should wait till this is
> > > signaled.
> >
> > As I wrote in response to another email in this thread, IMO existing
> > uAPI doesn't fully allow this. There is no way to enforce 'vblank'
> > handling onto the userspace. So userspace should be able to supply at
> > least two buffers and then after the vblank it should be able to enqueue
> > the next buffer, while the filled buffer is automatically dequeued by
> > the driver and is not used for further image output.
>
> Yeah if you want streaming writeback we need a queue depth of at least 2
> in the kms api. Will help a lot on all hardware, but on some it's required
> because the time when the writeback buffer is fully flushed is after the
> point of no return for the next frame (which is when the vblank event is
> supposed to go out).
>
> I think over the years we've slowly inched forward to make at least the
> drm code safe for a queue depth of 2 in the atomic machinery, but the
> writeback and driver code probably needs a bunch of work.

Do you mean handling the queue by allowing userspace to commit 'next' FB_ID?

I was leaning towards extending the uAPI with something like explicit
WRITEBACK_FB_ID_QUEUED and WRITEBACK_OUT_FENCE_PTR_QUEUED properties.
This way once the fence has been reached, the drm_writeback might
automatically put the old framebuffer, move _QUEUED to normal props
and then signal the userspace. This way the single-frame writeback
drivers can support the old API, while allowing cloned-writeback
drivers to implement the streaming approach. Also, this allows drivers
to do clever tricks, like forbidding the _QUEUED operation if the
refresh rate for the writeback connector is too high.

--
With best wishes
Dmitry