"firmware/sysfb: Set firmware-framebuffer parent device" breaks lightdm on Ubuntu 22.04 using amdgpu

Thomas Zimmermann tzimmermann at suse.de
Fri Jun 21 09:50:41 UTC 2024

Hi Marek

Am 13.06.24 um 07:59 schrieb Marek Olšák:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Commit 9eac534db0013aff9b9124985dab114600df9081 as per the title
> breaks (crashes?) lightdm (login screen) such that all I get is the
> terminal. It's also reproducible with tag v6.9 where the commit is
> present.

I still cannot reproduce the problem reliably. But I've found a
ref-counting bug on the parent device that was introduced by that
commit. This needs to be fixed anyway. A patch is attached if you want
to test.

Best regards
Thomas

> Reverting the commit fixes lightdm. A workaround is to bypass lightdm
> by triggering auto-login. This is a bug report.
>
> (For AMD folks: It's also reproducible with amd-staging-drm-next.)
>
> Marek

Thomas Zimmermann
Graphics Driver Developer
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Frankenstrasse 146, 90461 Nuernberg, Germany
GF: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Boudien Moerman
HRB 36809 (AG Nuernberg)