EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 5

Matthew Tippett mtippett at ati.com
Wed Apr 6 15:39:44 PDT 2005

Comments within.

 >     7. How should the notion of a screen's "native" mode be expressed?
 >        For example, LDC panels have a native resolution and refresh rate
 >        that looks best but other sub-optimal resolutions may be
supported.

 >        The mode attribute EGL_OPTIMAL_MESA will be set for modes which
 >        best match the screen.  [M. Danzer]

Note the typo for LCD.

These two are related.  Within the EDID specification, the ordering of
display information has an implication that the native resolution is the
first detailed timing that is returned.

There are certian monitors that (Apple Cinema) that do not follow this
approach since the bandwidth requirements for the native display would
not be suitable for non-dual link cards.  That monitor returns the
single link (1280x800) mode first - implying that that is the native
resolution, and then the dual link mode (2560x1600) second.  All cards
will support the first mode, but only high end cards will support the
second.  In short, for the Apple Cinema display there are two 'OPTIMAL'
modes that would be possible depending on hardware.  I guess that the
monitor hardware detection becomes a driver issue to determine which is
truly the optimal mode based on hardware configuration.  This will
require more work on the driver, but will leave a more consistent
interface for OES applications.

Regards,

Matthew
Matthew Tippett - mtippett at ati.com
Acting Engineering Manager, Linux Software Engineering
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada
Ph: +1 905 882 2600 x8014  Fx: +1 905 882 5432 Cell: +1 416 671 0673