EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Michel Danzer mdanzer at ati.com
Thu Apr 7 07:49:05 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 16:05 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:

> > >- Especially laptops allow the routing of RAMDACs to different output
> > >  transceivers - sometimes even one RAMDAC to several transceivers,
> > >  sometimes you can change the output port.
> > >  So we need some kind of selection mechanism, the screen_number is not
> > >  enough to identify the output port. Except if we identify different
> > >  output ports by different screen_numbers, but then we run into
> > >  troubles by not knowing on which output port a monitor is connected,
> > >  we cannot model the possibility of one RAMDAC connected to several
> > >  transeivers, and the next issue gets worse:
> >
> > I guess I don't fully understand this issue.  Do you see this as a
> > critical issue that must be addressed now, or can we find a simple
> > solution for now and do something elaborate later?
>
> I think it is critical to think about this right now. As far as I can
> see we *can* address this issue with an additional extension, but I
> might be wrong, so it would be great we think a little bit about it
> before we set everything in stone.
>
> Right now we have a 1:1 mapping of screens (i.e. RAMDACs, or scanned out
> framebuffer regions) and output plugs.

Actually, I think the current definition of a screen would map more
naturally to an output connector. But you're right that there's indeed
no way for an application to tell that several output connectors can be
associated with the same display controller and hence interdependent or
even mutually exclusive.

--
Michel Danzer, Linux Software Engineering       \   Tel: +1 905-882-2600
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada  \       Extension: 3550