EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 5

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Apr 7 08:22:29 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 18:12, Brian Paul wrote:

> Dependencies
>
>    EGL 1.1 or later.

Do we really need 1.1 for this over 1.0?

>    5. Should the EGL_PHYSICAL_SIZE_EGL query be kept?  The size information
>       isn't always reliable (consider video projectors) but can still be
>       used to determine the pixel aspect ratio.
>
>       Arguments for:
>
>          X supports a similar query with DisplayWidthMM(), DisplayHeightMM()
>          If this information can be easily queried with EDID, why not
>          make it available to the user?
>
>       Arguments against:
>
>          Historically, these values aren't always accurate.  Also, they're
>          not always applicable to the display device.
>
>       Other options:
>
>          Perhaps just a pixel aspect ratio should be supported.  [M. Danzer]
>
>          Postpone for a future extension, if needed.

I agree with doing this as a layered extension (EGL_MESA_extended_screen_info
perhaps).

>    8. Should eglQueryModeStringMESA() be included?  This function returns
>       a human-readable string which corresponds to an EGLMode.
>
>       Arguments for:
>
>           A mode name such as "HDTV-720P" might mean more to users than
>           "1280x720 at 60Hz" if the later were generated via code.

I would push this into the same extension as EDID stuff.  I would prefer to
keep EGL_MESA_screen_surface algorithmic rather than heuristic.

>    10. What should be the default size for screen surfaces?
>
>        For Pbuffer surfaces the default width and height are zero.

This should be clarified to say that we'll do the same for screen surfaces.

>    Attempting to delete a screen surface which is currently being
>    displayed will result in the error XXX??? being generated.

EGL_BAD_ACCESS sounds most appropriate.

- ajax