Multiple EGL implementations

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Jul 4 05:45:49 PDT 2005

On Jul 02, 05 12:32:00 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> The multiplexer function doesn't have to exist in a libGL. Xgl could
> be taught to load multiple libGLs with different path/names. The
> switching code is similar to local/remote access.

I don't see at the moment how a multiplexer in Xgl would help a direct
rendering application. Additionally, a full OpenGL multiplexer is a
*huge* amount of work / code (look at Chromium), though I guess we
wouldn't need a full multiplexer.

I think Adam is right that the right solution would be a generic libGL,
and I guess you are right that this ain't gonna happen (ATI seemed to
have switched to their own forked Mesa implmentation as well, at least
we weren't able to run OpenGL with a standard libGL with the current
fglrx drivers the last time I checked).

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __