EGL_MESA_choose_display version 1

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Jun 15 09:38:44 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 00:48, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 6/14/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 June 2005 17:37, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > > There is no problem taking the list of card0,card1,etc and converting
> > > it to display/0, display/1,etc and then back again in the driver. But
> > > I do need these to represent screens not devices. Display is ambiguous
> > > as to whether it is a screen or device. Would screen/0, screen/1 be
> > > better?
> >
> > I thought we had decided the semantics were one card : one display : N
> > screens, and one EGLDisplay could hold one or multiple screen surfaces.
>
> EGL can't tell the difference between (one card : one display : 2
> screens) and (one card : two display : 1 screen each).  In the second
> arrangement two independent users can be on each head if the drivers
> are written correctly.

But it _can_ tell the difference.  That's the whole point of wanting this
extension.  The first case is one EGLDisplay handle that can have two screen
surfaces attached; the second case is two EGLDisplay handles with one screen
surface each.

One EGLDisplay maps to one GPU.  If you want to virtualize multiple
EGLDisplays out of one GPU for that DX10 mux trick you mentioned, you need
kernel support for that anyway, so do it there, not in EGL.

- ajax