Display specification

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:09:31 PST 2005

With framebuffer this is achieved via sysfs...

ls '/sys/class/graphics'
returns fb0, fb1, fb2, etc
these correspond to screens.

These should correspond to drm0, drm1, drm2. Over time I want to merge
the two devices into a single one.

Doing something like this:
EGLDisplay dpy = eglGetDisplayForWidgetXXX("pci/0000:01:00.0");
builds a dependence in on card location. you don't want to do that.

Down in fbdev/DRM we are trying to design things so that two
independent user can each be logged into different heads on a two
headed card. They would be able to start/stop XGL, X, fbcon
independently.

The basic idea is that the kernel knows about physical devices. It
then finds and loads the appropriate device driver. The driver then
exposes user space accessible /sys/class entries. All of the device
discovery process is removed from XGL/X.

The current interface probably isn't exactly what egl needs. I can
change it like we're changing the mode setting one.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com