Native surface creation

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Tue Mar 15 06:50:00 PST 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:11:25 -0700, Brian Paul
> <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
>
>>>I'll also change the root priv attribute that builds the mode list to
>>>take in attribute/value pairs but egl can't change the list.
>>
>>Can't there be a query in which you pass in a mode name (ex: "HDTV
>>1080i") and an attribute to query (ex: "height") and are returned the
>>value (ex: "1080")?
>

> I'm implementing these calls in a device driver. Couldn't the EGL
> implementation just retrieve the entire list of modes and do the
> matching in user space?

Only if the mode names themselves are totally self-descriptive.  If I
query the entire list of modes and I get:

"1024x768 at 75Hz"
"HDTV 1080i"
"orange"

How am to know what "orange" really is?

> glChooseMode would work the same way. It is
> very fast to retrieve the whole list and you could keep it caches,
> it's less than 2K. That would also give you flexibility in the match
> algorithm.

Sure.  But you've indicated that the mode names can be anything, which
means there's not enough information to do the matching in
eglChooseMode().

Maybe I'm missing something.

-Brian