EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:43:57 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:39:54 -0700, Brian Paul
<brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:21:30 -0700, Brian Paul
> > <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at though.
> >

> > Say I'm using a desktop windowing system implemented on top of XGL. It
> > has an HDTV projector hooked up to the second head of the card. Is it
> > useful to have a UI that says force that head into 1080i or 720p?
>
> Sure.
>

> > The UI under X for doing this is to use keypad +/- to cycle through
> > all of the modes. That model is complicated when multiple heads are
> > involved.
> >
> > To build a UI for choosing the mode I need a list of mode names,
> > either that or or they can choose from a list with all of the
> > attribute/value pairs but a lot of people won't understand the pairs.
>
> OK, I see what you want.  But somehow it just doesn't feel right to
> export that information through the EGL API.  Can we defer that for now?

Isn't the EGL API the only way the desktop can interact with the video
system? You can't read config files since mesa/ATI/NVidia may all
implement it differently.

I may also have some thing like
HDTV-1080i
HDTV-1080i-left -- where the mode line has been adjusted to move the
image to the left

These will both have with=1920,height=540,refresh=60,interlace=1 the
only difference will be the name since the mode difference is
controlled by attributes not exposed in EGL.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com