EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:23:23 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:15:15 -0700, Brian Paul
<brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > Color depth is an independent variable to the mode.
>
> Is it?  I remember video cards that could support 1024x768 with 24-bit
> color but 1600x1200 only with 8-bit color.  Was that because of
> limited DAC bandwidth or the limited amount of VRAM?

That is a hardware limit. If you have a 1600x1200 mode set and you try
to use a 24b surface you should get an error saying bandwidth
exceeded. The problem is that 1600x1200-24 outputs at something like
150Mhz and your monitor can only take 120Mhz.

You don't want to combine depth into the mode list because the
modelist with get 10x larger. It is simpler just to return the error
on an invalid combination. With current equipment this error doesn't
happen very often.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com