EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Michel Danzer mdanzer at ati.com
Wed Mar 16 12:08:24 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:46 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:15:23 -0500, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The root of the problem is that there are more attributes on the mode
> > than are exposed in EGL. You could do a elgChooseMode(1024,768) and
> > get back 10 identical modes at the EGL level, but they would all be
> > different at the hardware level.

Does it have to be that way? Couldn't it be required that every mode is
unique as far as the EGL attributes are concerned?

> > EGL will pick the what it thinks is the best mode and you won't be
> > able to get to the others since you can't tell them appart.
>
> I think the key problem here is that elgChooseMode(1024,768) can
> return more than one mode. I don't think you can make the argument
> that you need to return more than one mode at each resolution.

Sure I can:

> You will want this to be the best mode possible, why would you want to set
> an inferior one?

Because 'inferior' depends on the use case. If you agree with the EGL
rules on what the 'best' mode is, you can always just use the first mode
from the list you get. Otherwise, you get to choose. To me, this seems
like providing flexibility without any major drawbacks.

--
Michel Danzer, Linux Software Engineering       \   Tel: +1 905-882-2600
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada  \       Extension: 3550