EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Michel Danzer mdanzer at ati.com
Wed Mar 23 09:08:13 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 08:19 -0700, Brian Paul wrote:

> Issues
>
>     1. Should EGL_INTERLACE be a supported mode attribute?

[...]

>        Arguments for:
>
> 	   An interlaced display can be of use without considering video
> 	   material.  Being able to query whether a screen is operating in
> 	   interlaced mode can be used by applications to control their
> 	   drawing.  For example: avoid drawing 1-pixel-wide horizontal lines
>            if screen is interlaced. [B. Paul]

Good point, I can agree to this.

>     8. Should eglQueryModeStringMESA() be included?  This function returns
>        a human-readable string which corresponds to an EGLMode.
>
>        Arguments for:
>
>            A mode name such as "HDTV-720P" might mean more to users than
>            "1280x720 at 60Hz" if the later were generated via code.

I agree, but I think it should be made clear that the mode names are
implementation specific, subject to change and don't have any meaning
beyond being unique for each mode. Applications should never try to
identify modes by name.

>     EGLSurface eglCreateScreenSurfaceMESA(EGLDisplay dpy, EGLConfig config,
>                                           const EGLint *attrib_list)
>
>     Create a surface that can be displayed on a screen.  <attrib_list> is
>     an array of token/value pairs terminated with EGL_NONE.  Valid tokens
>     include:
>
>         Name              Description
>         EGL_WIDTH         desired surface width in pixels
>         EGL_HEIGHT        desired surface height in pixels
>
>     Any other token will generate the error EGL_BAD_ATTRIBUTE.

What will happen if either of these attributes is omitted?

--
Michel Danzer, Linux Software Engineering       \   Tel: +1 905-882-2600
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada  \       Extension: 3550