EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 23 15:54:45 PST 2005

> Lying monitors would be dealt with at the lower layers. That's the
> point of a fbdev mode list change event being kicked out to user
> space. That gives the user space app a chance to read a /etc/file and
> adjust the mode list to add/delete modes and fix wrong ones. My
> assumption is that mode info presented to EGL is assumed to be true.
> This also means that editing the available mode list only happens in a
> single place (fbdev) for all video users.

Will not work in practice. /etc/blah won't have nowledge of all lying
monitors on the planet any time soon. Again, let's follow the common
usage here, which is to expose the refresh rate.

> You can still change the refresh rate, either by cycling through the
> modes with a hot key or by picking a mode by name. What is the API the
> games are using to get a list of valid refresh rates? Is this an
> artifact of the API the games have to work with?

Why ? nothing prevent them from putting it in the mode list, and some
do. But some don't ... Also, there is at least one good reason to know
the refresh rate. I suspect some smart applications can very well
balance they processing time / screen update frequency based on the
refresh rate.