EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Michel Danzer mdanzer at ati.com
Thu Mar 24 07:48:06 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 20:41 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:28:49 -0500, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > #    7. How should the notion of a screen's "native" mode be expressed?
> > #       For example, LDC panels have a native resolution and refresh rate
> > #       that looks best but other sub-optimal resolutions may be supported.
> > #
> > #       The mode attribute EGL_OPTIMAL_MESA will be set for modes which
> > #       best match the screen.  [M. Danzer]
> >
> > And then below where it says that EGL_OPTIMAL configs get bumped to the head
> > of the list (ie, have sort priority 1).
>
> I don't really like building knowledge of display technology types
> into the EGL sort rules. Refresh is an important attribute for CRTs,
> optimal is important to LCDs. What is the important attribute for a
> plasma display, how about a DLP projector? Are we going to have to
> rewrite the sort rules every time a new display technology is
> developed?

I don't think so. If there are several optimal modes, the one with the
highest resolution and refresh should be the generally most desirable
one, regardless of the display technology.

--
Michel Danzer, Linux Software Engineering       \   Tel: +1 905-882-2600
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada  \       Extension: 3550