EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Michel Danzer mdanzer at ati.com
Thu Mar 24 08:25:40 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 09:42 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 12:08 -0500, Michel Danzer wrote:
>
> > I agree, but I think it should be made clear that the mode names are
> > implementation specific, subject to change and don't have any meaning
> > beyond being unique for each mode. Applications should never try to
> > identify modes by name.
>
> I agree. However, there is one important distinction here: Do we allow
> the API to return 2 modes that are overall identical except that they
> have different names ?

I think we should not because modes should only be selected via
attributes.

> If we do, that opens the door for HW that has some important "features"
> that aren't exposed here to expose them via this API. An example is TV
> Out, the HW driver could expose modes with "PAL" or "NTSC" in the mode
> name (ok, well, I admit, in this case, they are likely to have different
> resolution, but my point still stands in the generic case). Another
> example is the type of scaling for a non-native LCD mode (preserve
> aspect ratio or fully stretched).

Anything that can be used by applications to identify and/or select
modes should be an attribute in this or another extension IMHO.

--
Michel Danzer, Linux Software Engineering       \   Tel: +1 905-882-2600
ATI Technologies Inc., Markham, Ontario, Canada  \       Extension: 3550