implement window surface

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Tue May 17 14:44:24 PDT 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:
> Don't I need to implement window surfaces in the fbdev EGL driver? In
> other words the ability to create a surface that will draw to a
> clipped rectangle on an existing screen surface.  Without clipped
> surfaces how can you implement a non-composed Xserver?

The eglCreateWindowSurface() function is designed to be used in
conjunction with the native window system's windows (X window or Win32
window, etc).  It takes a <NativeWindowType> parameter.  So you'd use
the native window system API to manage the window (XMoveWindow,
XResizeWindow, XMapWindow, etc).

So in our X-less EGL environment we'd probably need to add all those
sorts of functions.

Another option I've been considering is to develop a new OpenGL/Mesa
extension that extends the glScissor feature to allow clipping against
a list of rectangles, not just one.  This would be used to implement
cliprects for window regions.  The DRI drivers already support this
internally for window clipping so it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

What do the XGL people think of that?

-Brian