Xegl lives!

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue May 24 09:06:32 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 11:53 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 5/24/05, Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com> wrote:
> > As I understand it, Zack's nearly done with that project, and is
> > offering to come help you as soon as he can...
>
> KAA is a dead end and spending resources working on it is only
> delaying the cut over to a GL based server. GL based servers also
> accelerate render, they just do it using a standards based API.

You misunderstand: XAA and KAA share the same software rendering code;
Zack's just been making that code work faster, as I understand it.
Kdrive is just more convenient for development than the huge Xorg XAA
beast is, and Zack's reintegrating the code once developed into the Xorg
source pool, now that it is working.

> If you're concerned about size spend some resources on an open source
> OpenGL-ES implementation. There's already a proprietary one at 100K.
>
> If you want Xgl faster have Keith help. I'm working full time on code
> Keith wrote and he could probably make the needed chages 10x faster
> than I can.

Would that we could clone Keith.  He's pretty committed to getting cairo
done with Carl right now, and that is how we get toolkits to render to
GL pretty directly. So that's the other side of the same coin.  And if
Mozilla and GTK can't move to Cairo, then we're still stuck with 2D
graphics going through the old X graphics model, which we're trying to
make obsolete.
			- Jim