Xegl lives!

Matthew Allum mallum at gmail.com
Wed May 25 01:36:26 PDT 2005

Hi;

On 5/25/05, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shiny fast 3D can be had for $10 now. For cell phones/Ipaq use
> software mesa. Software mesa provides full OpenGL on nothing but a
> dumb framebuffer.

If theres any floating point happening here, cell phone/Ipaq/Zaurus
performance will simply fall flat on its face ( no fpu ).

Though its worth noting that 3D mobile chipsets ( higher end ATI
Imageon and intel 2700g for example ) are beginning to become pretty
common. I suspect in a couple of years it will be hard to find a cell
phone/PDA without H/W 3D esp as the games on them try to compete with
things like the Sony PSP. That said there is still the issue of Linux
drivers existing for such chipsets - I believe the 2700g has some
specs for it but not the imageons.

I will try in the next couple of week to get Xegl running on an ARM
PDA and see how bad ( or good :) )  things are.

  -- Matthew