Offer to Implement VAAPI/VDPAU support in mesa/etnaviv for the CODA VPU

Wladimir J. van der Laan laanwj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:15:44 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 02:24:24PM +0000, Luís Mendes wrote:
> Yesterday I tried Fabio's tutorial for enabling the VPU with gstreamer in
> console mode (https://imxdev.gitlab.io/tutorial/Decoding_video_with_a_
> mainline_kernel_on_i.MX6/). It was beautiful to see the i.MX6 playing a
> H.264 video smoothly in high definition.
> Then I tried to achieve the same under X, but it wasn't possible because
> drm is in use by X.
>
> That gave me the idea that implementing a functional VDPAU/VAAPI may not be
> so far away and that I may be able to implement such functionality in my
> spare time even if at a not so fast pace.
>
> What do you etnaviv guys say? Does it looks feasible?

I know very little about video APIs so I can't comment on CODA and VDPAU being
a good match or not.

But IIRC the only thing the Vivante 3D GPU could provide (which isn't
implemented in etnaviv at the moment) is planar YUV import, which means
internally HW tiling a buffer to a tiled UYVY or YUY2 texture that can be
rendered from.

The rest is i.MX6 board specific. For example the i.MX8 will have
a completely different video codec (Hantro G2).

Wladimir