screen rotation performance problem

Peter Zumtobel peter.zumtobel at sigmatek.at
Wed May 2 13:54:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

we have a performance problem regarding etnaviv on a 90 degree rotated
screen. Maybe somebody with deeper knowledge of the etnaviv graphics
stack could help me or explain to me the current state of development
and/or what needs to be done for rotation to work with better performance.

The soc we're using is an i.mx6dl running Debian Stretch (armhf)
The versions of the etnaviv parts are:
Kernel 4.9.68-rt60
libdrm and Mesa are from Buster:

:~# dpkg -l 'libdrm*' '*mesa*'

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                         Version             Architecture
+++-============================-===================-===================
ii  libdrm-amdgpu1:armhf         2.4.91-2            armhf
ii  libdrm-armada2:armhf         2.0.3-1             armhf
ii  libdrm-common                2.4.91-2            all
ii  libdrm-etnaviv1:armhf        2.4.91-2            armhf
ii  libdrm-freedreno1:armhf      2.4.91-2            armhf
ii  libdrm-nouveau2:armhf        2.4.91-2            armhf
ii  libdrm-radeon1:armhf         2.4.91-2            armhf
ii  libdrm2:armhf                2.4.91-2            armhf
ii  libegl-mesa0:armhf           17.3.8-1            armhf
ii  libegl1-mesa:armhf           17.3.8-1            armhf
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:armhf        17.3.8-1            armhf
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:armhf        17.3.8-1            armhf
un  libgl1-mesa-swx11            <none>              <none>
ii  libglapi-mesa:armhf          17.3.8-1            armhf
ii  libglu1-mesa:armhf           9.0.0-2.1           armhf
ii  libglx-mesa0:armhf           17.3.8-1            armhf
ii  libwayland-egl1-mesa:armhf   17.3.8-1            armhf
ii  mesa-utils                   8.4.0-1             armhf
un  mesag3                       <none>              <none>
un  xlibmesa3                    <none>              <none>

xf86-video-armada is from
http://git.arm.linux.org.uk/cgit/xf86-video-armada.git/
where the HEAD is on unstable-devel commit
04748ff4fb30370086cc97b9487a32951c5600ba

The screen is rotated by xrandr -o right in the openbox autostart.
Also kernel cmdline passes cma=256M to the contiguous memory allocator,
although I did not observe any problems without it.

Our customer is using a java application and chromium, which both show
performance problems during scrolling.

A test with glxgears shows following results:

# vblank_mode=0 glxgears -fullscreen
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
485 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.982 FPS
491 frames in 5.0 seconds = 98.082 FPS
499 frames in 5.0 seconds = 99.730 FPS
493 frames in 5.0 seconds = 98.446 FPS
496 frames in 5.0 seconds = 99.048 FPS

:~# xrandr --output LVDS1 --rotate normal
:~# glxgears -fullscreen
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
260 frames in 5.0 seconds = 51.802 FPS
266 frames in 5.0 seconds = 53.154 FPS
264 frames in 5.0 seconds = 52.736 FPS
265 frames in 5.0 seconds = 52.903 FPS
265 frames in 5.0 seconds = 52.909 FPS

:~# xrandr --output LVDS1 --rotate right
:~# glxgears -fullscreen
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
28 frames in 5.1 seconds =  5.538 FPS
27 frames in 5.0 seconds =  5.392 FPS
27 frames in 5.0 seconds =  5.379 FPS
27 frames in 5.0 seconds =  5.381 FPS

Hopefully someone has some ideas or insights and can elaborate about it.
Or if its the wrong mailinglist, can direct me to the correct one.

Thanks in advance
and best regards
--
Peter Zumtobel
Operating system development

SIGMATEK GmbH & Co KG
Sigmatekstraße 1
5112 Lamprechtshausen
Österreich / Austria

Tel.: +43/6274/4321-0
Fax: +43/6274/4321-300
E-Mail: peter.zumtobel at sigmatek.at
PGP-ID: 0x92758A23
http://www.sigmatek-automation.at

This email and all attachments are confidential and intended solely
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
named addressee you must not make this email and all attachments
accessible to any other person. If you have received this email in
error please delete it together with all attachments.