Another Adobe Bug or...?

Hubert Figuiere hub at figuiere.net
Fri Apr 18 09:58:06 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 02:43 -0400, Pipian wrote:
> While fiddling around with Exempi and alternate language blocks, I
> noticed a curious habit of exempi automatically changing a localized
> string to the default string IF AND ONLY IF there are only two
> localizations, and one of them is the default (i.e. xml:lang="x-
> default").  This is a bit curious, and also appears in Adobe's
> implementation in Photoshop CS3.  I'm not sure if this is what we want
> though...

Given that I haven't touched anything in the area, the behaviour is the
one implemented in the Adobe SDK.
Do you have a sample code, just to see make sure we are talking about
the same thing?

> Shouldn't specified localizations be as they're given, even if the
> default isn't the same as say, the "french" localization, or is it a
> quirky aspect of the Adobe spec (it doesn't seem to be)?
>
> I've attached a file that exhibits this problem (It SHOULD have two
> alternate renderings of dc:title, "Blue Square Test File - .jpg" in "x-
> default" and "Carré Bleu Test File - .jpg" in "fr-FR", but it instead
> has "Blue Square Test File - .jpg" as the "fr-FR" translation as well).
>
> I've also attached a proposed patch to the 2.0.0 branch that fixes
> this bug (in the upstream source/XMPCore/XMPCore_Impl.cpp file).  My
> apologies for not sending this patch in a more 'Adobe'-friendly manner
> (I just did a git diff).  I forgot the method to do so.

As for the patch, it is what I expect. There is no "Adobe-friendly" here
as I'm not Adobe :-)
As for the behaviour, I'd ask there:
  http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef3ec0f/
Just to make sure.
Not sure you'll get a reply, but there are more chances that the
original authors see it.

Hub