Prerequisites for Installation

Christoph Dalitz christoph.dalitz at hs-niederrhein.de
Wed Aug 20 23:58:49 PDT 2008

Dear exempi developers,

after unsuccessfully trying to compile Adobe's XMP SDK, I have found
your package and would like to thank for taking the trouble of porting
this SDK to Linux. I also got it to work without problems on MacOS X.

During the installation process of libexempi, I have noticed that the
instructions in the file INSTALL were incomplete because they lack
hints to prerequisites and how to install these.

Would you mind adding the section given below to the INSTALL instructions
before the section "Basic installation"?

Thanks,

Christoph

Prerequisites
=============

exempi requires one mandatory and one optional third party libraries:

   "libexpat" for XML parsing (mandatory)
   "boost" for a unit test framework (optional)

If you do not have boost, you can skip its use by calling configure
with the option "--enable-unittest=no". exempi however is required.
Most Linux distributions provide a package for libexpat; make sure
that you do not only install the runtime environment but also the
developer package (libexpat-dev or libexpat-devel) .

On MacOS X, libexpat is included in Apple's X11-SDK package (on the
OSX install DVD). Alternatively you can install it through Fink with
"apt-get" or from Darwinports. When you use libexpat from X11, you
must set the following environment variables before calling configure:

    export CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include
    export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib

When you use libexpat from Fink or Darwinports, you must call configure
with the option "--with-fink" or "--with-darwinports", respectively.