Pidgin media support / FsGstTransmitter

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Sep 15 22:30:39 UTC 2017

I'm working on a Pidgin backend end for a new protocol. I have got to
the point where I can receive audio data (multiplexed in the data
stream with a bunch of other stuff), call opus_decode() for myself and
dump it to disk. So I'm looking at how to actually feed the audio
stream to Pidgin.

Pidgin's media support is based on Farstream, and *every* existing
protocol that I can find just uses RTP. In fact Pidgin even crashes if
the FsParticipant doesn't have a "cname" property — a requirement which
met by FsRtpParticipant but not by FsRawParticipant:
https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/17246

I believe that what I need to do is fix that and then use
fsrawconference... and implement my own FsTransmitter which routes
audio data to/from my own protocol? Does it make more sense to have a
generic FsTransmitter which is just given a source and sink GStreamer
element? Or just pads? Does such a thing exist anywhere? Or have I
completely misunderstood what I need to do...?