xdg-app and gtkmm

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 07:38:55 UTC 2015

On mån, 2015-12-07 at 15:04 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-11-30 at 10:11 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> > > Instead, my current work is about tooling to make it easy to
> > > bundle
> > > things. I just landed the xdg-app-builder tool in git, which
> > > takes
> > > simple json file and builds your apps dependencies, with the goal
> > > of
> > > moving all the metadata used for this to the indiviual upstreams
> > > of
> > > the
> > > modules you depend on.
> >
> > Oh, and for example, take a look at the new nightlty build recipe
> > for
> > inkscape using this, which includes gtkmm:
> >
> > https://github.com/alexlarsson/nightly-build-apps/blob/master/org.i
> > nk
> > scape.InkscapeDevel.json
>
> Thanks. So I got xdg-app-builder working fairly painlessly for a
> little
> toy gtkmm project:
> https://github.com/murraycu/prefixsuffix/blob/master/manifest.json

Cool. Although you can probably remove this:
    "desktop-file-name-prefix": "(Nightly) ",

Unless you're using this to create nightly builds.

> I put it here:
> http://murraycu.github.io/prefixsuffix/repo/
>
> by doing this:
>
> $ xdg-app-builder --require-changes app manifest.json
> $ sudo mkdir -p /repos/prefixsuffix
> $ sudo chown murrayc:murrayc /repos/prefixsuffix
> $ xdg-app build-export /repos/prefixsuffix app
> $ xdg-app repo-update /repos/prefixsuffix
>
> Then I copied all of /repos/prefixsuffix/* into the repo/ directory
> that appears on the website.
>
> Should I be using my own GPG key to sign it, or is there some way to
> create a GPG key for the project, and is that wise?
>

> Also, my app doesn't actually run. Is it obvious what I'm doing
> wrong?
>
> $ xdg-app run org.gnome.PrefixSuffix
>
> ** (prefixsuffix:2): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility
> bus:
> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-FwMNfBewZv: Connection refused
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> Failed to register:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown

Yeah, this is failing to register the dbus name
"org.prefixsuffix.application", because the sandboxed app is only
allowed to own names of the form "org.gnome.PrefixSuffix" and
"org.gnome.PrefixSuffix.*". This is to avoid conflicts with other apps
and with host services. You need to rename the app (or change the code
to use the new dbus name).

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a one-legged overambitious Green Beret from the Mississippi delta.
She's a chain-smoking bisexual research scientist with an incredible
destiny. They fight crime!