xdg-app and gtkmm

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 13:38:46 UTC 2015

On ons, 2015-12-09 at 13:58 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-11-30 at 10:06 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> [snip]
> > Instead, my current work is about tooling to make it easy to bundle
> > things. I just landed the xdg-app-builder tool in git, which takes
> > simple json file and builds your apps dependencies, with the goal
> > of
> > moving all the metadata used for this to the indiviual upstreams of
> > the
> > modules you depend on.
>
> So, what kind of metadata files should gtkmm have, and how should we
> make them available? A manifest.json in gtkmm's repository? If so,
> would an app's manifest.json then somehow depend on the gtkmm one?

I was more thinking about apps. Non-leaf modules shouldn't really have
to do anything but be easy to package, which is easiest done by
following a standard build API:

  https://github.com/cgwalters/build-api/blob/master/build-api.md

Its not really possible to bundle the dependencies, as you don't know
what options, configuration and optional dependencies that the app
wants.