XDG-APP for software development

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 07:31:34 UTC 2016

On ons, 2016-04-27 at 14:59 -0500, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
> I'm installed Builder from stable apps gnome repository.
>
> I would like to use libgee and/or install more libraries in my build
> environment.
>
> AFAIK org.gnome.Sdk, provides most utilities to develop software
> against it. I was able to develop on libgda on it. But what about
> other software requiring third party libraries not included in
> official SDK?
>
> How can I add more of this libraries, to org.gnome.Sdk? or
>
> How can I create a new SDK with the libraries my software requires?
I don't think that is the right way of viewing things. Yes, the gnome-
builder xdg-app depends on the sdk because it needs clang and stuff for
e.g. parsing C code. However, if you're building an app, and that app
has more dependencies than what is in the sdk we should be bundling
that with that app. In the context of day-to-day app development this
means that gnome-builder should be doing the building in a child xdg-
app instance that has the dependencies pre-installed in /app (possibly
with a different SDK than the one builder uses even ).
Unfortunately this requires recursive xdg-app instances, which is not
possible, so we need some kind of portal that allows builder to launch
such recursive instances.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a war-weary Amish rock star from the 'hood. She's a wealthy
out-of-work politician with a flame-thrower. They fight crime!