Adding AppData files for frameworks

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Fri Jan 8 14:25:56 UTC 2016

> [...]
>
> Would adding an AppData file for the frameworks be okay? e.g. shipping
> something like this in
> /files/share/appdata/org.gnome.Platform.appdata.xml:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <component type="runtime"> <!-- this is new to AppStream, MatthiasK

Sorry for the delay... A "runtime" metainfo file could IMHO just be a
generic component, which we already support.
A generic component allows assigning AppStream metadata to arbitrary
software, which looks exactly like the thing we need here.

We would only need a new component type in case we want to use it for
e.g. filtering out only runtime components from the metadata pool. In
that case, I would like to see an use-case for that (do we want to
show the runtimes in an UI? If so, why? (as this is just an
implementation detail)), and also a sharp definition of what a
"runtime" is, especially whether it turns out to be something xdg-app
specific or rather be a component type that is useful for other
purposes too.

Cheers,
    Matthias