GNOME Software as an xdg-app

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 14:12:05 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I spent a couple of hours packaging up gnome-software for the
gnome-apps-nightly repo. I've attached my attempt so far, although it
doesn't actually work yet. For gnome-software we're using libxdgapp,
so that means building ostree (and a few other gpg things) as deps. I
do have access to the home directory from the app so I can access
~/.local/share/xdg-app/ and the application desktop file. The issue I
have is that when installed xdg-app (the command line utility
installed in the *bundle* not the system wide version) I cannot see
remotes and applications installed with the system xdg-app even when
run with --user.

$ xdg-app --user list-remotes
gnome-sdk
$ xdg-app run --devel --command=bash org.gnome.Software
$ ls ~/.local/share/xdg-app/app/
/home/hughsie/.local/share/xdg-app/app/org.gimp.GimpDevelGtk3:
$ /app/bin/xdg-app --user list-remotes

Gives me a bit fat nothing. Is there something I'm missing? GNOME
Software of course belongs in the base image rather than a
user-removable app, but for testing git snapshot versions alongside
the system version (for screenshots and testing etc) this feature
should be really useful. If we can get the per-app xdg-app working
with the base system --user store in ~ then it'll make it easy to add
and remove apps from the gnome-apps-nightly repo too.

Ideas welcome, thanks.

Richard