Can flatpak wrap low-level library dependecies?

Robert Munteanu robert.munteanu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:33:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On 13 July 2016 at 11:14, Robert Munteanu <robert.munteanu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm investigating wrapping Brackets [1] using flatpak. The Brackets
>> build is already pretty self-contained, but it depends on outdated
>> versions of libgcrypt and libudev, which are no longer available on
>> more recent Linux systems.
>>
>> Is this dependency problem something that I can avoid using flatpak?
>>
>> For reference, the requirements are
>>
>>   libgcrypt.so.11 ( but I have libgcrypt.so.20 )
>
> You can bundle whichever libraries you need while building a Flatpak
> of your application.
>
> See: http://flatpak.org/developer.html

A couple of days later I managed to get this working, although the the
though question was not whether it was possible, but how to actually
do it.

I ended up using flatpak-builder, following the examples from the wiki
on the github page.

> Though…
>
>>   libudev.so.0 ( but I have libudev.so.1 )
>
> … why does a text editor require access to udev?
>
> There's no direct access to devices in the Flatpak sandbox, and thus
> you cannot use libudev.

I assume that the requirement comes from CEF ( Chromium Embedded
Framework ) which is used as a basis for the editor. The editor itself
does not require direct access to devices.

Thanks,

Robert