Announce: Flatpak 0.6.0 (previously xdg-app) released

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed May 18 09:18:26 UTC 2016

I just released the first version of xdg-app with the new name
"Flatpak". The release is available here:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/xdg-app/releases/

I will update the various binaries we have, as well as start to rename
the resources like bugzilla, git, tarball location, etc.

Major changes in 0.6.0
======================

Renamed from xdg-app to Flatpak.  Existing repositories should keep
working, and locally user installed apps/runtime will be migrated
automatically. However, there are some things that you have to be
aware of:
 * The command names are now flatpak/flatpak-builder
 * System-wide installed apps/runtimes need to be reinstalled
 * flatpak-builder uses a ".flatpak-builder" subdirectory instead
   of ".xdg-app-builder".
 * The bus name and interface name for the permission
   store is changed, it was in org.freedesktop.XdgApp, but is
   now in org.freedesktop.impl.portal.DesktopPortal.
 * The installation migration is a one-time operation so you can't
 * The library API (and name) changed due to the rename.

Other changes:
 * Flatpak now hard-requires ostree 2016.15
 * Switch from using xdg-app-helper to an included version of bubblewrap:
   https://github.com/projectatomic/bubblewrap
 * Added a policykit-based system helper that allows you to authenticate
   via polkit to install into the system repository.
 * Added an experimental command to export/import applications and runtimes
   as an OCI tarball.
 * builder: Fix creation of locale extensions if there was no locale data in the
   build.
 * Its now possible to disable/enable configured remotes.
 * A lot of new tests where added, and we now support installed tests.
 * builder now has an optional --arch argument for multiarch building.
 * Builder modules can be disabled with "disabled": true.
 * Using --filesystem=/tmp now hides the system X11 sockets.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a suave guerilla paranormal investigator on a mission from God.
She's a bloodthirsty hypochondriac detective who don't take no shit from
nobody. They fight crime!