Request: Perl and Perl-Gtk bindings

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 23:30:24 UTC 2017

Alex and I have discussed this at GUADEC, two weeks ago; it should be
possible to include Perl in the next freedesktop.org Platform runtime,
but including the Perl modules needed by the bindings without any
application actively using them is kind of problematic, as they have
the tendency to string along a bunch of dependencies themselves, and
make the runtimes bigger than necessary.

With Perl in the runtime it should be possible to bundle the GTK+
bindings for Perl with your app; the introspection data is there, and
it's pretty trivial to bundle the Perl modules wrapping it. The only
two big bits would be perl-Glib and perl-Glib-Object-Introspection, as
they both require building C code, and require additional Perl modules
to find their dependencies (ExtUtils::Depends and ExtUtils::PkgConfig)
as well as a Perl module to generate its build file
(ExtUtils::MakeMaker).

Any flatpak-builder manifest for a Perl app would require those bits.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

https://www.bassi.io
[@] ebassi [@gmail.com]