ostree 2017.7 incompatibility with flatpak < 0.9.6

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Mon Jun 26 11:07:02 UTC 2017

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 at 12:44:02 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I noticed recently that the change to ostree:
>
> https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/commit/73ba3eb686ef86cea1c4563303e44df87d73e6c6
>
> that makes ostree mirroring not mirror the summary file when doing a
> partial mirror broke the systemwide install (as a user) of flatpak.
> This is fixed in 0.9.6, so anyone who updates to the latest ostree
> should also make sure that you update to the latest flatpak.

(cc'ing Jeremy Bicha who seems to be Ubuntu's de facto Flatpak maintainer)

At the moment I'm still tracking Flatpak 0.8.x in Debian unstable.
This is for two reasons: the wider its testing is, the more confident
the stable release team can be that 0.8.x is safe for a stable-update;
and if I ship 0.9.x, Ubuntu will pick it up and include a development
branch in their releases, unless they specifically take steps not to.
I'm tempted to move to 0.9.x since we're early in the ~ 2 year Debian
release cycle, but the same cannot really be said for Ubuntu.

If I cherry-pick commits e987d92 "install: Manually save summary[.sig]
in cache repo" and 67ffd9a "Manually copy summary for update and appdata
too" into 0.8.x, is that expected to work correctly with ostree 2017.7?

What sort of time do you expect to be stabilizing 0.9.x as 0.10.0?

How bad would it be from your point of view if Ubuntu 18.04 LTS had some
random development version from the 0.9.x series? (Note that flatpak in
Ubuntu is in the "universe" component, which means it is not necessarily
supported by anyone, and in particular there have been no security
updates there yet for CVE-2017-9780.)

Thanks,