Flatpaking of Paperwork: Issues with locale-specific files and scanner drivers

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 13 10:03:36 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 14:09 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 13:45 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >

> <snip>1
> > > - Paperwork uses Sane to access scanners. However, Sane only has
> > > user-land drivers (most uses libusb I guess). Most users don't
> > > have
> > > saned (Sane daemon) enabled on their system. Therefore, libsane
> > > usually access directly the scanner(s) using the user-land
> > > drivers
> > > bundled with it. I can easily package all the open-source drivers
> > > of
> > > sane-backends with Paperwork, but some people have scanners
> > > requiring
> > > proprietary drivers. For instance, my Brother scanner is
> > > installed
> > > using a shell script provided by Brother, and this shell script
> > > download and install .deb files.
> >
> > You can make an app extension point for this, then people can
> > package
> > drivers either as flatpaks, or by using "unmanaged extensions"
> > which
> > are just a correctly named directory on the host acting as an
> > extension.
>
> We still need to think of a way to handle "generic" USB devices. I
> think that using saned in the same way we use PulseAudio, Pipewire
> and
> co. (authorisation agent) would probably be the best way to solve the
> problem for Flatpak.
>
> It's quite a bit of work, but that's pretty much the only way to get
> hotplug support, remote device discovery, all handled in a way that'd
> integrate well with Flatpak.
>
> I don't think that each scanning application having its own SANE
> stack
> is a good way to solve that problem.

I think this is true, but it also makes packaging such apps much
harder, as you suddenly need to convince distros to change how sane is
packaged, no?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a sword-wielding pirate vagrant with a passion for fast cars. She's
a cosmopolitan mutant Valkyrie with the power to bend men's minds. They
fight crime!