Can not update software: permission denied

Dan Nicholson nicholson at endlessm.com
Wed Apr 11 20:59:42 UTC 2018

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Yvan Masson
<yvan at masson-informatique.fr> wrote:
> Le 11/04/2018 à 18:50, Dan Nicholson a écrit :
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Yvan Masson
>> <yvan at masson-informatique.fr> wrote:
>>> Warning: Failed to update org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.9: While pulling
>>> runtime/org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.9 from remote flathub_1: Writing
>>> content object: open(O_TMPFILE): Permission denied
>>
>> What distro/architecture are you running on? What filesystem are you
>> using? What version of flatpak and ostree do you have? There have been
>> some issues with ostree and O_TMPFILE in the past, but I don't recall
>> EPERM being one of them.
>
> I am using Debian testing amd64, on a BTRFS partition (on top of
> encrypted LVM). Flatpak is in version 0.11.3 (Debian version 0.11.3-3),
> libostree is in Debian version 2018.4-1 (package is named "libostree-1-1").

That all seems normal and recent enough. I don't have any other ideas.
You can try running with --ostree-verbose to see if you get more info.

That said, "Writing content object" in ostree happens when writing the
objects to the repo's temporary storage. That would be in the
tmp/staging* directories in /var/lib/flatpak/repo or
/home/yvan/.local/share/flatpak/repo. You might want to look at the
permissions of those. Alternatively, you can just wipe the
tmp/stagiing* directories and you'll drop objects that you've
downloaded but not committed and start fresh.