Sandboxing

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 08:23:29 UTC 2018

> Limiting which applications can have access to which directories

yes, here is a screenshot where I limited application access to only
~/Documents

https://twitter.com/muayyadalsadi/status/870986338111299584

> When I install an application through flatpak, does it automatically get
sanboxed?

yes, but the default/automatic is controlled by app manifest, but we need a
UI to show those and allow user to decline some based on user choice, not
app author choice

> Does Sandboxing applications slow it down, if so by how much?
>> In theory there is some slowdown as there are additional kernel-side
checks, but its basically negligible.

yes, the overhead of sandboxing itself is negligible
there is an overhead of missing the system-wide cache (using different
libgtk.so other than the one that is already loaded)
Flatpak tries to reuse many of those like font caching.