Why Flatpak? Isn't Snap enough?

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Fri Jan 5 00:10:20 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 6:38 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre at mecheye.net> wrote:
> I think Flatpak has made great *technical* strides in improving and
> rounding off the round corners of the developer experience, but
> fragmentation is a social problem, not a technical one. The goals you
> mentioned are *technical* ones: "use this containerization technology
> for this sandboxing benefit", "integrate more closely with yadda
> yadda build system".

Sure, but Flatpak's technology is what makes it a better solution for
shipping end-user apps, which makes it the better solution for solving
the fragmentation problem.

So in the end, this argument should be taken to the snap mailing list,
since it's snap's technical limitations that make it less useful for
solving the social problem. If those limitations can't or won't be
addressed, then people should start preferring Flatpak alone for
shipping end-user apps, and reserve using snaps for what it's actually
good at: Shipping server appliances like Nextcloud or invasive
technologies like Anbox.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.