DNS address allowed to contain '-', but not flatpak ID, any suggestion?

Robin Lee robinlee.sysu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 14:43:56 UTC 2018

Hi, everybody!

I am a Fedora packager and recently start to learn flatpak.

I chose Zim as my first flatpak. The official web host of this package is
zim-wiki.org.
( '-' is of course a valid character in a host name'. )
And the ID in appdata is 'org.zim-wiki.Zim'.

So I tried to use the same ID as flatpak ID. But flatpak disallowed this
case:
"Only last name segment can contain -"

So what is the best solution for this issue?
Choose another DNS address to be used as flatpak ID?
Sustitude '-' with another character or an escape sequence?
Or flatpak should remove the limit for '-'?

Sincerely
-robin