newbie question #2: plugin-based applications

John Stebbins JohnAStebbins at jetheaddev.com
Sun Jul 1 16:35:08 UTC 2018

On 07/01/2018 09:20 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Yes, I ran into two problems flatpaking opencpn [1]. The other is that
> opencpn uses a lot of plugins, some of which typically installed in an
> existing opencpn installation. The question then becomes: how can we
> accomnplish this in the application sandbox?
>
> Can we just drop a pre-built plugin.so in the sandbox? How, then? Are
> there other ways? Or is it just not possible?
>
> Scratching whatever hair left...
>
> --alec
>
> [1]http://opencpn.org

Yes, it is possible. In flatpak lingo, these are called extensions.
There are not a lot of examples out there of application plugins,
but Hexchat is one.  There is also a current PR for VLC to add plugin support.

Hexchat app where it defines the extension point
https://github.com/flathub/io.github.Hexchat

And the Hexchat perl plugin that uses the extension point
https://github.com/flathub/io.github.Hexchat.Plugin.Perl

--
John      GnuPG fingerprint: D0EC B3DB C372 D1F1 0B01  83F0 49F1 D7B2 60D4 D0F7