flatpak-builder and stdin input

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Mon Jun 25 10:04:59 UTC 2018

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 at 13:38:05 -0700, John Stebbins wrote:
> I'm creating a flatpak bundle for an application that runs a script during it's build process which queries for a
> response using the bash "read" command.

flatpak-builder does not support this. Apps that will be built using
flatpak-builder must be buildable noninteractively, from a known and
finite collection of source code (which can be bundled into a .Sources
runtime for GPL compliance).

Please ask the app developer to add a way to make the build
process noninteractive. For instance, they could add options
like --enable-spline-reticulation, --disable-spline-reticulation,
--accept-license which would result in the question not being asked and
a suitable answer being assumed.

Similar considerations apply to most (all?) other packaging and
package-like formats. dpkg and rpm both require a non-interactive build
process, and Flatpak's app-bundle competitors like Snap and AppImage
probably do the same.

    smcv