Icon themes

Daniel Kasak d.j.kasak.dk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 03:47:02 UTC 2018

I've been attempting to get a flatpak ( gtk ) app to use my icon theme. I
1st went down what appears to be the incorrect path, and tried packaging
the icon them I'm using into my app, and installing it into
/app/share/icon/Obsidian-Green ... and then
creating /home/dkasak/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini with the following:

[Settings]
gtk-button-images=1
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-icon-theme-name=Obsidian-Green

Short story: doesn't work - I get the default Adwaita icons. I set
GTK_DEBUG=icontheme and ran, and at least saw logging info about my icon
theme directory being traversed.

Then I found an announcement against flatpak-0.8.something:

* Expose icons from host in /run/host/share/icons

Maybe me installing the icon theme was redundant, and my ( desktop ) icon
theme should in fact be visible to my app?

So what am I doing wrong? Ideally ( in my opinion ) gtk apps running in
flatpak would use the same icon theme ( and yes, gtk+ theme too, but I know
that's contentious, and I use the Adwaita gtk theme anyway, so I don't care
*too* much ).

Dan