Need help with storing dot files

Daniel Kasak d.j.kasak.dk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 05:36:42 UTC 2018

Hi all.

I'm trying to work around a strange issue with unixODBC, where I get
unicode issues if I use the global odbcinst.ini file ( in my case,
/app/etc/odbcinst.ini ). I've found previously that if I make an exact copy
of the file to my home directory ( ie ~/.odbcinst.ini ), then things work
fine. I've checked with strace, and both files are being read.

Anyway, I'll be taking up this issue with unixODBC people ASAP. But in the
meantime ... it would be great if I could persist the local version. I can
open a debug console, eg:

flatpak run -d --command=bash ${app_name}

 ... manually copy /app/etc/odbcinst.ini to ~/.odbcinst.ini and then launch
my app, and it works fine. But ~/.odbcinst.ini is not persisted. This is
confusing, because other things in the user's home folder *are* persisted (
eg we create a config database in ~/.smart_config/config.db ).

Is there a way to make ~/.odbcinst.ini persist? I'm not sure if I can make
unixODBC read from other locations - and it's flaky enough as it is.

Dan