Can't See Printers from Certain Apps

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 12:23:45 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 8:09 PM Douglas Summers <ajgringo619 at cox.net> wrote:

> (I apologize in advance; I remember asking a similar question a few
> months ago, but I couldn't find it in the list archives)
>
> I was trying to help a Linux Mint 18.3 user with a printing problem
> with LibreOffice (can't see his local USB-connected printer) and I was
> reminded of an issue I had (and still have) with Okular not seeing my
> WiFi-connected printer. I tried Okular again today to see if the issue
> was fixed, and sadly it is not.
>
> Now, for me the printing issues with LO have never come up (been using
> Linux Mint since version 18.1). I had the user try upgrading to the
> latest version of Flatpak via the PPA, but it didn't make any
> difference. He's also having the same problems with Scribus.
>
> I know Flatpak can give apps additional permissions - can someone point
> me in the right direction?

Accessing printers, with drivers, configuration,etc is quite tricky
from a sandbox. The way this is meant to work in flatpak is for the
app to use the printing portal, which actually runs the print dialog
on the host, so it should see everything configured on the host. I
*think* the kde print portal is supposed to be wired up to Qt, so
okular *should* work.

Maybe there is a general issue with the portal support on the host?
Are you running kde or gnome? If gnome, do you have
xdg-desktop-portal-gtk installed, and what version. If kde, same for
xdg-desktop-portal-kde?
--
 Alexander Larsson                                Red Hat, Inc
       alexl at redhat.com         alexander.larsson at gmail.com