Research for app purchases

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Dec 9 10:31:07 UTC 2019

Thanks a lot for this thorough discussion of Australian laws wrt
selling software. However, I think you might be overthinking some of
the wording in that document. This is an API for how we can (at a
technical level) handle the protection of content in the flatpak
system, not a description of a user-facing service. The listed use
cases are not a description of what flathub will do, but a list of
possible workflows that need to be taken into consideration when
designing the API and mechanisms, to ensure we're not accidentally
limiting us to something that someone might want to do. In fact, even
if something is not possible to do legally in Australia doesn't mean
we should not technically support it, as someone might  want to use it
elsewhere.

Of course, eventually we *do* want to make use of this for flathub,
and then all these legal complexities do come into play. And yes,
things will be different for each geography, so likely any support
will be limited initially and added to incrementally. Of course, even
the initial implementation should take into account things that may
affect other geographies to make it easier to later extend it, so all
kind of info like this is valuable. This stuff is in the future
though, we're just laying the technical foundation for it now, and
when we do look into it legal will be involved too.

--
 Alexander Larsson                                Red Hat, Inc
       alexl at redhat.com         alexander.larsson at gmail.com