Language support

Rafael Fontenelle rafaelff at gnome.org
Wed May 22 11:00:40 UTC 2019

Em seg, 20 de mai de 2019 às 05:29, Alexander Larsson
<alexl at redhat.com> escreveu:

> On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 10:30 PM Rafael Fontenelle <rafaelff at gnome.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > It seems flatpak only recognizes languages with two characters, like
> > en, pt, sv". For me, setting 'pt' (European Portuguese) works, but
> > 'pt_BR' (Brazilian Portuguese) fails. See:
> >
> > $ LC_ALL=C flatpak config --set languages pt_BR
> > error: 'pt_BR' does not look like a language code
> >
> > This impacts on the details of software listed. e.g. I'd expect GNOME
> > Boxes's name be, in pt_BR, "Boxes" but flatpak shows "Caixa" which is
> > pt's translation.
>
> Just set it to "pt", and it will include all pt_* locales. Flatpak
> only splits the set of locales on the first part to avoid an explosion
> of options, but it doesn't mean that they are not all supported.

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. I'm referring to the app names
listed by Flatpak that show up in pt/European Portuguese instead of
pt_BR/Brazilian Portuguese (The UI of the software installed via
Flatpak or even the Flatpak itself are in pt_BR as I would expect).
And I would prefer to have app names listed in Brazilian Portuguese in
my system. See below for my outputs.

First, to show my system is in Brazilian Portuguese:

$ echo $LANG
pt_BR.UTF-8

Now, notice that Flatpak defaults to Portuguese (as I mentioned,
unable to set to pt_BR):

$ flatpak config
languages: *unset* (default: pt)

See the first column ("Nome") for gnome-boxes's app name. "Caixas
GNOME" is the European Portuguese translation [1], while "GNOME Boxes"
is Brazilian Portuguese's [2].

$ flatpak search boxes
Nome                          Descrição
             ID de aplicativo                           Versão
 Ramo         Remotos
Caixas GNOME                  Máquinas virtuais e remotas simples
             org.gnome.Boxes                            3.32.1
 stable       flathub
(...)

Another example: gnome-buider. "Construtor" is the European Portuguese
translation [3] for gnome-builder app name, while "Builder" is
Brazilian Portuguese's [4].

$ flatpak search builder
Nome            Descrição
                             ID de aplicativo       Versão      Ramo
     Remotos
Construtor      Uma IDE para o GNOME
                             org.gnome.Builder      3.33.1      master
     gnome-apps-nightly
Construtor      Uma IDE para o GNOME
                             org.gnome.Builder      3.32.2      stable
     flathub

[1] https://l10n.gnome.org/POT/gnome-boxes.master/gnome-boxes.master.pt.po
[2] https://l10n.gnome.org/POT/gnome-boxes.master/gnome-boxes.master.pt_BR.po
[3] https://l10n.gnome.org/POT/gnome-builder.master/gnome-builder.master.pt.po