Hanging processes

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 08:40:19 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-11-21 at 14:33 -0600, Anonymous Japhering wrote:
> Flatpak v 1.9.2Linux 5.4.0-54-generic #60~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP
> DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=19.3
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=tricia
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia"
>
> Building and running the latest flatpak version of Evolution.
>
> I'm seeing issues where various bits and pieces either die or a
> communication event
> fails which leaves Evolution in a none functioning state.
>
> At this point,  first attempt is to  try to get Evolution to exit
> normally ( File->exit ) after which
> flatpak ps  which usually shows 1-N  copies of  org.gnome.Evolution.

This all seems to somehow indicate some issue with dbus. Thats whats
used to communicate, in particular for the "one instance" part.

> Followed by  flatpak kill org.gnome.Evolution,  which frequently
> causes my problem.. a slew
> of  flatpak-bwrap and flatpak-spawn processes which prevent the next
> flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution from running.
>
> kill and kill -9  have no effect on the processes, thus a reboot is
> required to once again be able to start Evolution.

However, this is just weird. Kill should always work, there is nothing
flatpak can do to make it not. Can you get some kind of pstree output
from when this is happening?

Did anything change other than the update to 1.9.2? I.e. is this a
regression?