How to have flatpak access host GSettings?

Eric nullchinchilla at pm.me
Sun Oct 10 23:32:19 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to have my flatpak change GSettings of other apps *on the host*. From googling around I added to my flatpak manifest this:

finish-args:
  - --filesystem=xdg-run/dconf
  - --filesystem=host:ro
  - --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf

but it does not seem to work at all. Running "gsettings set" in the flatpak sandbox does not affect the host GSettings, only settings inside the flatpak.

Is there something I am missing? Do I need to expose some other endpoint? Clearly what I am trying to do is possible, since "dconf-editor" has been packaged as a flatpak! But I don't see anything enlightening in the manifest of dconf-editor's flatpak.

All the best,
Eric