[Fontconfig] Re: Problem with make install under mingw

Nicholas Wourms nwourms at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 25 07:35:16 EST 2003

Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 11 o'clock on Apr 23, "Andrew Pendleton" wrote:
>

>>Does fontconfig compile under mingw?
>

> Never tested that.  fontconfig uses automake and libtool for compiling, so
> perhaps the problem is in one of those two tools.

He probably needs to compile inside cygwin and pass the
-mno-cygwin cflag during the configuration process so that
libtool/gcc will produce mingw binaries.

> What is mingw, anyway?

It's a set of development tools which allow you to compile
unix-style code into MFC/Win32 native binaries&libraries
without a posix/syscall emulation layer (Cygwin).  However,
to my knowledge there is no native X11 support in Windows
(XonX style), so I really fail to see the point in building
  fontconfig for it.  The person would be best advised to
use the existing TT font rendering API if he/she needs
truetype support in their application.  [Of course, I could
be wrong and someone has figured out a use for a native
Win32 api version of fontconfig...]

OTOH, Alan Hourhaine has fixed up things for the
Cygwin/XFree86 project so that Xft2 & Fontconfig will be in
4.3.x when it is released.  This is still a WIP, so there
aren't any releases yet, AFAIK.

Cheers,
Nicholas