[Fontconfig] Qt 3.2.3, Xft, and Solaris 8

James F. Hranicky jfh at cise.ufl.edu
Sat Dec 6 00:14:43 EST 2003

I've compiled qt on Solaris 8 with Xft support, but I'm having the same
problem as detailed in this post:

   http://mail.fontconfig.org/pipermail/fontconfig/2003-August/000581.html

As in that post, GTK2 apps use anti-aliased fonts correctly, while
QT apps do not. The qtconfig app shows that I have them enabled by
default, yet they simply are not used/rendered. Turning on and off
aliasing in qtconfig/kcontrol has no apparent effect.

Interestingly enough, when I log into a Mandrake 9.1 machine, remote
login to the Solaris machine, and run KDE apps remotely, the fonts
*are* anti-aliased properly, and I can turn on and off aliasing
in kcontrol and see the difference. So, I know the Solaris apps are
compiled correctly, it just seems there's some unknown factor preventing
the rendering of AA fonts in qt/kde on openwin.

Does the fact that openwin on Solaris 8 doesn't support the Xrender
extension  have anything to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

| Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin                   UF/CISE Department |
| E314D CSE Building                            Phone (352) 392-1499 |
| jfh at cise.ufl.edu                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh |