[Fontconfig] Mozilla, Xft and (buggy?) fonts

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Feb 12 06:04:26 EST 2003

Around 2 o'clock on Feb 12, Anthony Fok wrote:

>    Would it be a good idea, if a font already contains a valid
>    Unicode CMap (e.g. Format 4 and/or 12), that CMap 0 be ignored
>    altogether?  There appears to be more buggy fonts out there on the
>    market than we would like.  Anyhow, I have no preference either
>    way, so, you make the call.  :-)

Fonts are also broken in the other direction -- they contain both Unicode
and Apple Roman mappings, but the Unicode mapping doesn't map Latin glyphs
while the Apple Roman mapping cannot cover the glyphs available in the
font.  Suggestions for how to figure out the right mapping are welcome...

> A visual check with ftview showed that the glyph indices are off by 26

I have a vague recollection of having fixed a bug like this.  Can you
report which versions of the X server, Xrender, Xft and fontconfig you are
using?

> There are a few other Mozilla Xft issues as seen on Bugzilla.  The
> "disappearing text when with switching fonts" happens on my Debian
> sid/unstable system (XFree86 4.2.1, with XRender).
> However, everything looks and works okay on Red Hat 8.0 and Phoebe.

I suspect RH has incorporated various fixes from current XFree86 CVS which
haven't made it into Debian unstable yet.  Please give current CVS a try
and see what happens there.

Keith Packard        Cambridge Research Lab	Hewlett Packard